Art, DESIGN AND TECHNOLGY
Art lessons at Spring Cottage centre around the development of the whole child.
Children are provided with opportunities to explore the world of thoughts and feelings and to express their ideas in ways that are powerful alternatives to the written word throughout the curriculum.
All children are taught techniques and skills that follow a developmental progression across the school.
This progression takes place across a range of different strands, including: pencil, colour, texture, from, painting and pattern. Pupils use Sketch books across both Art and Design to develop ideas, and explore a wide range of activities based on visual elements.
Both Art lessons and Design and Technology lessons should be about experiencing, experimenting, developing and discussing. Each lesson should be part of a developmental process where children are encouraged to express their ideas, thoughts and feelings creatively.
Within the art curriculum at Spring Cottage we aim to provide pupils’ with:
- The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination
- The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skillfully and inventively.
- The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own and others’ work.
- The knowledge and understanding to use artistic language and vocabulary skillfully and convincingly (e.g. line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions and interpret observations
- Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
- A passion for the Arts and a knowledge and understanding of other artists, craft makers and designers.
Within the DT curriculum at Spring Cottage we aim to provide pupils’ with:
- A broad range of practical skills and knowledge across a range of design topics (food, materials, textiles, electrical and mechanical, construction and computing).
- An interest and enthusiasm for designing and making (using the design, make, evaluate process)
- A range of activities to increase the children’s capability and confidence in their own ideas.
- An understanding of the ways in which people from the past and present have used design and Technology to meet their needs and how this is relevant to them.
- Confidence and ability in using and selecting from a wide range of tools and materials.
- The ability to be self critical, to evaluate and seek to improve their work and solve problems.
- Knowledge and understanding of nutrition and an awareness of cooking and healthy eating.